Monday, June 18, 2012

I've been busy...

In spite of having 5 WIP's on my knitting needles and one WIP for crocheting, as well as a couple of quilt tops in progress I've been trying my hand at garment sewing.  A few months ago I took a class and made a skirt that we fitted to ourselves to perfection.  It is the 'Manhattan Skirt' from Textile Studio Patterns.  It was billed as the skirt that will make you look 10 pounds lighter and by golly I think it does.  I love it and have plans to make this pattern again.



Next I made myself a "pancake breakfast" apron from 'Simple Sewing' by Lotta Jansdotter.  Every few months I help serve pancakes at our local Son's of Norway pancake breakfast and felt the need to individualize an apron for myself.  Off to the fabric store I went and much to my delight, I actually squealed out loud in the store, there was the perfect fabric for me.  Covered in pancakes dripping with syrup and other goodies was my apron.  It is reversible so I cut out some pancakes and appliqued them to the other side.  Et voila...I can hardly wait to debut my creation at our next breakfast.



Then this past weekend I took another class at my sewing store and made this really cute shrug.  The material is a knit which I've never stitched on before.  I was really worried that I would mess it up but the fabric turned out to be much easier to sew on that I had thought.  So now I want to make this shrug pattern again and again.  You can adapt it for long sleeves and to make it longer in the body. It is an 
e-pattern from http://sewingworkshop.com.


All in all I'm very happy with my sewing so far even if I am...

"a very busy woman and I haven't got all day".  
My favorite line from Ursula the Sea Witch, The Little Mermaid

6 comments:

  1. well, aren't they the cutest!! the apron will be the hit of the pancake breakfast! and I want that shrug... heh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented!!!! Each project is so well done, but I'm partial to the apron that has me drooling :)

    I never saw the movie Little Mermaid but when I was a child I had a story record The Little Mermaid and it had a clam called Auggie and I loved loved loved that record ~ thanks for reminding me of a fun memory ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudia! I'm really having fun re-discovering my love of sewing.

      Delete
  3. these are such lovely projects! and they are all perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chawne, I've been bitten by the sewing bug in part thanks to you and your beautiful quilt creations.

      Delete