Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Creation from the past

Thirty two years ago I was living in Lexington Kentucky with the Mr. as he finished up his PhD and then taught at the University of Kentucky for a few years.  I was working the evening shift at one of the hospitals and taking various classes during the day before work.
There was a wonderful old school house that was converted into classrooms for learning different crafts in town so I decided that I wanted to take an Amish Quilt class to make a wall hanging to give to my sister and her husband for their wedding present.  I had never done quilting before but I had lots of experience sewing.  Our mom taught us to sew when we were pretty young and so I had make clothes for myself for years.  This quilting class was a whole different beast altogether.  Everything we did was by hand, piecing and quilting.  No machine touched this quilt except my hands.  Bloody and pin pricked as they were.  I think I still can see some tiny little blood spots from my toils.  Not really but that adds a bit of drama to the whole endeavor.
I was so proud of this quilt square and was happy to give it to the newlyweds.  I also vowed to never quilt again!  It was hard work and I didn't really enjoy it so much.
Just look at those perfect little stitches!

Skip ahead 32 years and here I am eating my words.  Happily quilting away again.  Although I am using my sewing machine this time, I am planning to do some hand quilting as well.  I'm enjoying it now unlike when I was in my twenties.  Maybe I just needed a little maturity...and some work toughened hands to get going again.

Still hanging after all these years


I'm happy that they still like it too

7 comments:

  1. yes, we love it and appreciate all the hard work that went into it. and it has my favourite turquoise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's beautiful, and what a nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great story ~ I can't believe you did that all by hand. It's a beautiful piece of art (although I don't think it looks Amish???). I know exactly how your fingers looked because when I embroider mine look the same way when I'm out of practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia, I think the fabric was meant to look Amish if I recall...it was so long ago, lol!

      Delete
  4. Although I love the new modern quilts, there's something about the hand pieced/hand stitched quilts I remember from my youth. My grandmothers utilitarian patchworks are such wonderful pieces of art. So nice that you can look upon your first creative effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet, I look at all of those small stitches and wonder that I did that!

      Delete